Monday, May 5, 2008

Apple Rhubarb Compote

What I really wanted to make was a rhubarb crumble, but apparently I slept in too late to snag some of the spring's first rhubarb from the Headhouse Square Farmer's Market (2nd & Lombard).

So instead I headed home and visited Almanac Market, at 4th & Poplar. This lovely little market tries to get as much locally grown produce as possible, and I lucked out: 3 lonely little stalks of red rhubarb from Green Meadow Farm (Gap, PA) awaited me there.

Since 3 stalks wasn't going to get me far, I adjusted my plan from crumble to compote, and decided to throw in an apple (also purchased from Almanac, but can't remember the farm that grew it) that had been sitting in my fridge for a while.

Apple Rhubarb Compote
Make sure to cut the toxic leaves off the top of your rhubarb!
Slice 3 stalks into half-inch chunks.
Peel and cut up one or two apples into small pieces.
Throw all this into a pot.
Add a little bit of water or lemon juice, and about 1/4 C sugar (or to taste- I don't like overly sweet things!). Cook over low heat with the lid off, stirring occasionally, until the fruit has dissolved into a texture that you like.

I had some this morning for breakfast, spread onto toast (Metropolitan sourdough).

Variation: Use strawberries instead of apple. This will result in a runnier texture which is perfect atop vanilla ice cream.

No comments: